For many people the cost of a weighted blanket can be insurmountable. Fortunately, there are plenty of resources across the Internet where you can learn how to make your very own weighted blanket DIY!
While our goal with the Yorkville Blanket is to create a premium sensory blanket that is affordable enough for anybody who needs one, there are many step-by-step do-it-yourself instructions and videos available as an alternative. With some basic sewing skills, time, creativity, and instructions you can create a blanket that is completely unique to you. See below for some of the many do-it-yourself tutorials available and do not hesitate to contact us with any questions about your blanket or ours.
DIY Weighted Blanket Resources
There are plenty of instructions online for sewing your own blanket. Here are some of our favorite DIY weighted blanket guides for education and inspiration. These guides give instructions for building your blanket as well as hints, and tips for making the perfect blanket based on your age, weight, and disorder:
- Mama Smiles –Popular tutorial from parenting blog with a lot of community tips and customizations to make a simple cotton, poly-pellet weighted blanket.
- WikiHow – Not the most clear instructions or optimal blanket design, but good step-by-step pictures to follow to make a machine washable blanket with any filler.
- Confessions of a Fabric Addict – Great guide to make an adjustable weighted blanket with detailed measurements, pictures, and instructions.
- Quality Plastic Pellets – Guide from the makers of plastic poly pellets to make a blanket using their pellets. These pellets are inexpensive and better than using rice or beans to create a long lasting blanket but may be too bulky for some sensitive sleepers.
DIY Weighted Blanket No Sew
If you are looking for the therapeutic benefits of a weighted blanket without the sewing there are options to create do-it-yourself weighted blankets with no sewing required! In general, these blankets will be more difficult to care for and may require additional maintenance to wash and repair, however, it is a good option if you want to try using a weighted blanket without the investing the time and money into sewing a blanket from scratch. You can follow our No Sew Weighted Blanket Guide for step-by-step instructions of how you can create your own weighted blanket without sewing a stitch.
DIY Weighted Sensory Blanket Tips
- How to make a DIY weighted lap pad – For lap pads you can follow the instructions above as if you were making a very small blanket. Just be sure to scale dimensions down proportionally so the weight is evenly distributed and the material is the right size. Most people prefer lap pads heavier per square inch than blankets.
- Weighted Blankets DIY for adults – When making a large blanket it is often a good idea to start in the middle and work out with your stitches. This helps in dealing with the bulk of the blanket, so it is more like you are stitching two smaller blankets!
- How heavy to make your weighted blanket – We recommend following our guide. to determine how heavy to make your blanket. Although it is a matter of preference 10% of your body weight +/- 1 pound is generally accepted as the ideal weight by occupational therapists.
- Making a Cheap DIY weighted blanket – Many of the materials used in the guides can be substituted with cheaper options if you need to make a cheaper blanket. For example:
- Using rice instead of beads
- Using duct tape and bags instead of sewing
- Finding an old blanket to reuse instead of buying new fabric
Weighted Blanket DIY Videos
Check out some of the video guides below for additional instructions of how you can make your own blanket:
If you have any questions we are always happy to help give guidance and answer your questions. Whether you are looking to buy your perfect blanket or making your own feel free to contact us for advice.